Monday, October 3, 2011

Sound Walk

I chose to perform my sound walk in my neighborhood, Stuyvesant Town. Stuyvesant Town is structured so that there are residential buildings spanning from 14th Street and 1st Avenue to 20th Street and Avenue C. At the heart of Stuyvesant Town is the oval. The oval is a large oval shaped fountain surrounded by a quarter mile oval shaped pathway. It functions as the main park at the center of Stuyvesant Town, similar to the way Central Park is at the center of Manhattan. The pathway is bordered by residential buildings, playgrounds, chess tables, and the Oval Essentials (lounge, film center, children's center and a library). I chose to sit at the chess tables to complete my sound walk.
During my sound walk the population of the area I was sitting in slowly shifted from bustling young professionals with clacking heels to nannies and mothers with little ones. I mainly heard the sounds of children playing: Giggling, laughing, and on occasion, screaming. I heard the low rumble of skateboards on concrete and the thwack of a foot meeting a soccer ball. As I sat at the concrete chess tables I heard the rustling of the leaves overhead as squirrels scurried up the trees. I also noticed that despite being approximately 3 blocks away from the main streets of Manhattan, I did hear sirens from either the ambulances at Beth Israel Medical Center or the fire trucks coming from the station located on 14th Street between first and second avenue.
I didn't really get bored like I expected to during this sound walk. I found it rather relaxing and peaceful to sit in one of the greener areas of the city and enjoy nature and the life all around me. I felt like my head was clearer after this little break from all of the electronic distractions that regularly occupy my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment